Caribbean Jerked Rack of Lamb with a Coconut Red Wine Reduction

When my friends left the hospital I was a bit bored, so I actually checked work email. Seems sad that right after surgery that’s what I do.  I know work doesn’t need me and everything is covered, but it’s like watching the news for me.  Something I check out of habit.  Luckily, my mailbox is full, so I can only read the emails.  However I notice my eye sight is really blurry.  So I try and nod off to sleep.

I’m given a dilaudid drip to manage my pain.  I have a button I can press to give me more pain meds.  They tell me to stay ahead of the pain.  I am in pain, but if I lay really still it seems manageable.  I want to go to sleep, but I can’t roll on my side.  I finally nod off to sleep.  At some point in the night I wake up because I’m uncomfortable.  I want to roll onto my side, but it hurts like hell when I do. The nurse happens to come in to check on me.  She sees I’m awake and asks how I am doing.  I tell her I want to sleep on my side, but it hurts.  She reminds me to use the button and helps move me on my side.  I’m crying as it really hurts and I’m super uncomfortable.  I roll back to my back as I can’t stay on my side. She gives me an anxiety medication that also will put me to sleep.  I sleep through the night on my back.

The next morning a nurse wakes me up to draw blood.  I could have slept a few more hours.  I like sleep and am not an early riser.  Strikes me as odd that they would wake me up to draw blood.  Oh well, I guess I can nap later.  The nurse suggests that I order breakfast as they need to see me eat.  I order a bagel and cream cheese.  I’m not hungry and the overly dense cold bagel isn’t really enjoyable.  But I eat half like a good patient.

My breast surgeon stopped by to check on me.  She sat down and told me that the lymph nodes that were removed had cancer in them.  I asked how many, she said it was hard to tell and that we would have the the results from the surgery in about a week.  She reminds me that this means I will likely need chemo, but to wait for the results.  Not to worry about it and just concentrate on getting better.  It was a very quick conversation, which suited me as I was in a lot of pain.  I pretty much can only focus on staying still.

They decided that for me to go home I need to be on oral medications.  So the nurse was starting to disconnect the dilaudid drip.  As she was disconnecting she said, “I don’t think this was ever hooked up.”  She showed me that the cap of the medicine was not removed. So I was basically getting no pain medication during the night.  She connected it and gave me a dose and “oh my god what a difference!”  Still in pain, but I can move with out it being excruciating!

My friends and brother come to visit. T hey all went out separately and bought me a can of Pringles.  I have 3 cans on my hospital table.  My friend Andrea suggests that I also have a sippy cup.  It is brilliant as I can have it near me, especially since I can’t move without pain.  My plastic surgeon comes in and is a bit horrified at the amount of Pringles.  He laughs with us and is puzzled by the sippy cup.

Shane had wanted to come visit me in the hospital, but I told him not to.  I wasn’t sure how I would feel or react.  Now that I have pain medication and enjoying my friends I realize that I actually want to see Shane and text him that I’m done and he should come by.  He wanted to visit, but I wasn’t sure what shape I’d be in.  However he had too many clients, so he planned to visit me the next day.

In the afternoon I do a walk around the hospital ward.  I can move and feel alright.  After my walk the plastic surgeon comes by to see me.  He lets me know that I can stay one more night or go home, it’s up to me.   I pick home.  The food will be better.  Milo is there and my bed is comfy.  Although the hospital bed is not bad, I think I just want to be home.  It takes a few hours to release me, but I get to go home!

Speaking of good food, when I was looking for Bahamas food, I found this recipe for jerked lamb with a red wine coconut reduction. I t sounds like an odd combination, but it is a recipe from a respected restaurant in the Bahamas.  I think of jerk and Jamaica, but I find that the Carribean food has spread through the different islands and that most Carribean countries like jerk.

The lamb is straightforward to make.  I first make my own jerk seasoning.  I then marinate the lamb in that for a few hours.  Then broil the lamb.



The wine reduction is simple.  Just throw all the ingredients in a pot and let it slowly reduce.

The result is amazing.  The coconut rum creates a sweetness that works with the spice and the fruit of the wine.  This is definitely way better than the hospital food.



Jerked seasoning 

Original recipe can be found here

  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  1. Combine all ingredients; store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

Caribbean Jerked Rack of Lamb with a Coconut Red Wine Reduction

Original recipe can be found here

  • 1 frenched rack of lamb
  • juice of one lemon
  • 4 Tbsp jerk seasoning
  • salt
  • pepper
  • olive oil
  • 4 ounces coconut rum
  • 1/2 bottle of red wine (Malena)
  • 4 Tbsp brown cane sugar
  1.  Season rack of lamb with lemon juice, jerk seasoning, salt & pepper
  2. Let marinate for about 2 hours
  3. In a small sauce pan, bring red wine & coconut rum to a boil.
  4. Add sugar and let sugar dissolve.
  5. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes (until thick).
  6. Heat skillet.
  7. Pan sear rack of lamb (cook to preference).
  8. Cut lamb into chops and serve with coconut red wine reduction.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s