Baliq Levengi is a traditional preparation of Azerbaijani stuffed fish. It is stuffed with walnuts and pomegranates.
Traditionally the fish is sturgeon, however I can’t find any so I go with this Thai Trout.
Cut the fish open and season with salt and pepper.
Stuff the fish with the stuffing.
Seal the fish with skewers and bake.
It comes out and the fish is perfectly flakey. The stuffing of the pomegranate goes well with the fish. It is yummy in this tummy! Good enough for a special occasion like my brother coming to town!
My brother was one of my best friends growing up, so having him come to town is exciting and worthy of a celebration. I wasn’t planning on having anyone come help me with my surgery. I’m fiercely independent and figured I could do this on my own. My friend Amanda keeps telling me that when I have surgery I am going to need to have someone there to take care of me. She recommends that I have my mom, because for her surgery her mom was a great help. I don’t see it. I don’t find my mom relaxing. Don’t get me wrong, I love my mom, but when I don’t feel well I like quiet and not to interact. This isn’t so much how my mom sees the world as she likes to be social. So I imagine if she came I would be spending my time entertaining her rather than healing. My brother called and offers to come stay with me for the surgery. He lives on the east coast, so I hadn’t thought of asking him. I find the offer extremely comforting, so I agree. Amanda of course is happy with this news, but I’m nervous to tell my mom. I think she might feel slighted, but oddly she is totally relieved too. My brother got into town a few days before the surgery, so he can get himself familiar with my apartment. I am just over the moon to be able to spend time with him and of course we both enjoy yummy food!
Original recipe can be found here
- Whole White fish scaled & cleaned
- 1 Onion grated
- 1 1/2 c Walnuts ground
- 3/4 c Fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 tsp salt, split
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, split
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Rinse fish under cold water then pat dry with paper towel.
- Combine onion, walnuts, pomegranate seeds, 1/2 ts salt, and 1/4 ts pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg-F.
- Fill fish cavity with walnut stuffing.
- Pin body cavity shut with wooden barbecue skewers.
- Put fish on a baking sheet then pour lemon juice over it.
- Put fish on a baking sheet in an upright position with seam side down
- Bake for about 45 mins. until fish is browned & flakes easily with a fork.