Sou-Berag is a traditional Armenian dish, described as an Armenian Lasagna. It is less like a lasagna as it is only layers of cheese, phyllo dough and butter. It reminds me more of Achama. The dish is typically served as an appetizer and instead of layered, you can individually wrap the cheese filling, like Spanakopita.
I do like the idea of individual appetizers, but sounds like a lot of work. I just got back from a job interview in Seattle that I’m not so sure about. The interview went well and I will likely get the job. The nice thing is the company is based in Seattle, so I will get to work from home. I have decided to continue to embrace my lazy unemployed ways and make this the Lasagna way.
The first step is to mix the cheese mixture.
Then lay down a layer of phyllo dough and butter.
Then spread some of the cheese mixture.
It doesn’t seem to cover the whole pan, but with the cheese melting, and all the layers, I think this will be okay. As I say my prayers, I keep layering
Place it in the oven until it is golden brown and you can see a little bits of the cheese bubbling and the butter glistening.
It tastes amazing, buttery, cheese Yum!
Well that concludes Armenia. I really enjoyed the food with Harissa and Sou-berag being my favorite dishes. My next stop is Australia, which is a country I have been to!
Original recipe can be found here
- Frozen phyllo dough ( need 9 sheets)
- 1 Stick of Butter, melted
- 80z. Jack cheese
- 8oz ricotta
- 8 oz Feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Mix cheeses, eggs, salt, and pepper together.
- Butter your cake pan well and lay in a sheet of phyllo, and butter the top.
- Put on a layer of the cheese filling.
- Add another phyllo and butter the top and add more filling.
- Do this until all six sheets of phyllo are used and your filling is used up.
- You can now add the last three sheets of phyllo making sure to butter each one.
- Bake in a 450℉ oven for 20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 300℉ and bake another 20 minutes.
- Take out the sou-berag and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut in diagonals or squares and serve warm.