Bacalhau Gomes Sa is a portuguese dish that was introduced to Angola. It is now widely popular and consists of salted cod, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and olives. The ingredients sound interesting and not something I would put together.
The salted cod is to be soaked in water and then boiled with a bay leaf. I have a left over salted cod from making Bacalao Esqueixada, which I soaked in water for three days. So I just used this method to desalt the cod.
I boil the potatoes, slice and layer in a casserole dish.
I sauted the other ingredients and then layered them on top the potatoes.
Then added another layer of potatoes and baked in the oven. Garnish with hard boiled egg and olives.
The result was the potatoes are tender. The salted cod was a bit bland and I think too much salt was removed. I didn’t have green onions and think it could use the punch. I was thinking this was a main dish and so a bit disappointed as it was a more of a side dish.
This is my last dish in Angola. I was a bit uninspired by the food. Mainly I think I burnt myself out on cooking 3 dinner parties for Andorra and so my Angola experience I went for a smaller set and simpler food. My favorite was the Cafe de Poulet. Next country is Antigua and Barbuda.
Bacalhau Gomes Sa
Original recipe can be found here
- 1-2 lbs. dried salted codfish
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 eggs
- 2 onions,chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon oil
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 12 olives
- Soak the dry salt cod in water overnight. The next day, drain fish and simmer in fresh water, with bay leaves, for 20 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes for 30 – 40 minutes, so they are tender but not mushy.
- Boil the eggs for 12 minutes.
- Soak eggs in a ice bath until completely cool. Then peel and slice and set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, until onions are translucent.
- Add pepper and oregano. Flake the cod with a fork and mix it in gently green pepper. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cover an oven proof pan with cooking spray.
- Layer half the potatoes
- Then pour the onion and cod mixture over the potatoes.
- Top with remaining potatoes
- Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over the top
- Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with olives and egg slices