Xai is lamb in Catalana. In Andorra they are known for their lamb and love making it. I find a recipe for Costelles de Xai amb Allioli. Which is baked lamb with Allioli (the Catalan version of Aioli). In Spain the Allioli is made without eggs and is a paste of garlic, salt and oil.
The first batch of allioli I make is way too salty, so I make it over and is still very salty. I don’t add any additional salt to the lamb and the result is amazing. The lamb shines and the taste of the garlic comes through. A simple but eloquent dish.
Costelles de Xai amb Allioli
Original recipe can be found here
8 large garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
8 lamb loin chops (about 2 pounds)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 475ºF.
- In a food processor, mince garlic and salt.
- Transfer to a mortar and pestle, add olive oil and mix until it is saucy.
- Arrange the lamb chops in a baking dish, then season the lamb chops with pepper and brush on the allioli.
- Bake until browned, about 15 minutes for medium. Cook less for rarer meat. Serve hot.