Tarator is very similar to tzatziki sauce. In Albania it is served with fried squid or spread on bread. It is served in the summer time and makes a refreshing treat. There is nothing difficult about it, but I wanted a simple lunch and so made this. It is yummy and very much reminds me of tzatziki.
This concludes Albania. I am really surprised by the simplicity of the ingredients with the complexity of the flavors. Standouts for me are the Comlek and Tave me presh. My next country is Algeria, which has some overlapping things with Albania so I won’t be missing too many of the flavors.
Original recipe can be found here
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cucumber
- 3/4 cups of yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dice the garlic cloves and put them into a bowl.
- Skin the cucumbers then slice them long-ways. Take out the middle part of the cucumber slices that are juicy and full of seeds. Grate the cucumber slices into the bowl with the garlic.
- Add the yogurt, salt and pepper. Stir until it’s all combined.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top and stir it again. It should be kind of thin but not soupy.
- Serve it with a fresh loaf of crusty bread.